- Master's benefits
- Program's structure
- University of Rennes1
- University of Montpellier
- Technical University Munich (TUM)
- Ludwig Maximilians University (LMU)
- University of Turin
- Adam Mickiewisz University
- Multidisciplinarity: Physics, Chemistry, Materials science, Modelisation.
- Wide open vision of innovation in Materials science
- Opportunity to meet internationally recognized researchers and experts
- Close contact with industrial and academic research
- Internships, Master thesis proposals
- International Master & network : professors, researchers, students, alumnis
- Enhanced communication in English
The partnership with Non–European institution and Large scale Facilities offers the chance to gather teachers specialized in different disciplines, offering a wide range of opportunities for students.
After completion of the program the student will
- Demonstrate solid knowledge and skills allowing him/ her to solve problems related to materials and their technological applications or process
- Be autonomous, able of managing research or industrial projects
- Able to communicate in an effective manner, in English in addition to his/her mother tongue
- Show rigor, openness, critical thinking and a sense of ethics in work.
The first year consists in lectures at one of the consortium's universities.
- The first semester of the second year consists in lectures at another university of the consortium (30 ects).
- The second semester of the second year is dedicated to the Master thesis (30 ECTS), and students will move to another university inside the consortium.
The Master thesis can also be conducted in collaboration with partner institutions in Japan, Switzerland, India, Russia, Brazil, USA. as well as Large Scale Facilities such as the FRM-II (Munich, D), the ILL or ESRF (Grenoble, F), the LLB (CEA-Saclay, F), Soleil synchrotron (Saclay, F), at DESY (Hamburg, D), at Alba (Barcelona, Spain), at Elettra (Italy) or at the PSI (Villigen, CH).
The Mamaself Master covers 120 ECTS credit points.
- Mamaself students will receive at least 2 diploma delivered by the Universities where they have stayed:
- University Rennes 1: Master of Science Mention Physics or Mention Chemistry, "Master Materials and Management"
- University of Montpellier: Master of Science, "Chimie matériaux et procédés pour l'Energie et le développement durable"
- University TUM: Master of Science, "Certificate of Master's Examination for Physics (Applied and Engineering Physics)"
- University LMU: Master of Science, "Degree certificate concerning the examination leading to the Master's degree in Geomaterials and Geochemistry"
- University of Torino: Master of Science, "Primo anno Laurea Magistrale in Scienzia dei Materiali"
University of Rennes1
Crystallography, Quantum Mechanics, Laboratory of Physics and Chemistry of Materials, Metals and Alloys, Semiconductors, Nanomaterials.
Study plan Master1 :
Neutron Sources and Synchrotron Radiation Facilities (summerschool), Condensed Matter, Magnetic Nanostructures, Industrial Materials, Biomaterials, Management and Logistic, Thin Films
Optional Courses concern:
Nanomaterials, Sensors, Polymers; Surface and Interface Physics, Properties of Heterogeneous and Complex Media, Cooperativity: Phase Transitions and Transport, Magneto-transport and Spin electronics; Management and strategy in Europe; Legal environment and European institutions.
A visit is organised every year to the neutron reactor of Laboratory Leon Brillouin (LLB), CEA, at Saclay and Soleil the French synchrotron radiation source at Saint Aubin, close to Paris. This visit represents the first occasion for Mamaself students to come in close contact with Large Scale Facilities. (see Photo gallery Saclay)
University of Montpellier
Crystallography and Large Scale Facilities, Quantum Mechanics, Chemical reactivity of mateerials, thermodynamics of solids, Spectroscopy, Inorganic materials and Polymer) Hypbrids, Management, Entrepeneurship
Lectures at UM
Technical University Munich (TUM)
First year : advanced theoretical physics, continuum mechanics, advanced lab courses in different fields of physics, polymerphysics, modern x.ray physics, physics with neutrons, physics with positrons, reactor physics.
Second year: Large Scale Facilities for Materials Science: Neutron Courses and Synchrotrons (Summer School); Physics with Neutrons, advanced lab courses in different fields of physics; polymerphysics, modern x.ray physics, physics with neutrons, physics with positrons, reactor physics.
Masterthesis (12 months with lecture research and specialization, methodology, project planning
To get admission at TUM Physics department you must hold a degree that is comparable to the Physics Bachelor at TUM (see https://www.ph.tum.de/academics/bsc/; special attention is payed to the theoretical physics, the condensed matter physics, the nuclear and particle physics and a thesis). Please also upload course descriptions in your application.
Study plan TUM
The MaMaSELF program is common to TUM and LMU in Munich. Students will access to the wide range of lectures proposed in Munich. Only students having a Bachelor degree in Physics can be registered at TUM.
Ludwig Maximilians University (LMU)
Heterogeneous systems, structure determination, high resolution microscopy, polarization microscopy, powder diffraction, analytical methods in Geochemistry
Large Scale Facilities for Materials Science: Neutron Courses and Synchrotrons (Summer School); research project in the field of geoscience, physics, chemistry; synthesis and processing, spectroscopy, advanced materials science, bio mineralization, mineral surfaces, physics and chemistry of melts.
masterthesis (22 weeks)
University of Turin
Mandatory courses concern:
Large Scale Facilities for Materials Science: Neutron Sources and Synchrotrons (Summer School); Nanostructures in Metals: thermodynamics, phase transformations, properties and laboratory; Advanced Solid State Physics: Superconducting and Optical Properties of Solids; Ab-initio Modelling in Materials Science and Applications; Physical Chemistry of Surfaces with Laboratory; Complements of Crystallography.
Optional Courses concern:
Nanomaterials; Recent History of Materials Science: Profile and Internet Resources.
Adam Mickiewisz University
Lectures at AMU in Poland are available for the second year, 3rd semester of the Mamaself program.
Mandatory courses concern:
Solid State physics
Methods of fabrication and analysis of conducting nanostructures, Magnetism, magnetic materials , Introduction to neutron scattering, Signal and energy processing in nanopatterned materials, Physical properties of 1D and 2D materials, electric and thermoelectric transport at the nanoscale.
Soft Matter and Organic-Inorganic Hybrids
Molecular simulation of soft matter, Biophotovoltaic materials, Thermodynamics of Electrolyte Solutions, Computational Studies of Electronic Structure of Nanosystems, Bionanostructures, Liquids in Confinement; Quasi-high pressure effects in nanopores, : Sunlight energy conversion.
Practical lectures : see detailed program